Thursday, December 4, 2014

Lost in Translation

On Friday night, I was talking with a nine-year-old boy in our family group.  The primary school kids had finished exams and were spending most of the school day playing.


So I asked him, "What did you do at school today?"


"I played football," he responded.


"That's fun," I said, "who did you play with?"


He looked at me and responded, "The ball." He said this as if he was in disbelief at how ignorant this girl was. Didn't she even know how to play football?


"I know, I meant who did you play it with?"


"Ohhh," he said, "the children in my class."


Obviously, who and what got mixed up somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christina, yes, that single word certainly changes the meaning! But was it the wee fellow's English or your Lugandan where the problem was?

    ReplyDelete